Cave Game: Monster Texturing

Recently I was tasked with texturing the monster model for our game in substance 3d painter (not including facial features, which had been created as a decal by our artist). I hadn't used the program before, however I found it relatively intuitive to learn, at least at a basic level.


The monster is intended to be a shapeshifter, capable of changing it's colour to mimic those it's killed, but reveals it's true form when exposed to harsh light. Therefore, the monster has to have at least 2 textures: one for its true form, and one for a disguise. 
Another thing to keep in mind is that the game will be significantly pixelated, so textures needn't be detailed beyond the extent that will be noticeable in the game.

For the monstrous form, I first added a fill layer of lizard skin, creating large creases in the skin. I then added a second fill layer containing a human face texture, creating an uncanny, uneven, patchy skin texture. Following this, I made a third layer, in which I added details. these included using the colours of red leather and rust to create reddening around the eyes, and the appearance of scarring on the torso, legs, hand and feet. Finally, on this same layer, I added a low opacity layer of cracked paint colour to make the skin colour appropriately pale.



For the disguise, I first created a layer of un-textured skin colour, so as to base the texture in a level of artifice, before creating a second and third layer for the jeans, which I painted with a denim texture, and shirt/shoes, which were painted with a plain white and black brush. Next, I added a fourth layer, in which I used a rust brush to make the fingers, knuckles, elbows and knees look bloodied and scraped from crawling around in the cave, as well as using a low opacity ground brush to make the shirt and jeans look sweat-stained and filthy. finally, to accentuate the dimensions of the model, I added a shadow layer and shaded along certain edges, such as below the ribcage, below the knees, and around the rear.

Comments

Popular Posts